As provided in the Cooperative’s Rules and Regulations, the provisions of the Cold Weather Accommodation allow a qualifying residential member the opportunity to retain electric service throughout the cold weather period, which extends from November 15 through March 15.
The cooperative will not disconnect a member’s service between November 15 and March 15 when the local National Weather Service office forecasts the temperature will drop below 35 degrees Fahrenheit within the following 24-hour period unless:
- it is at the member’s request;
- the service is abandoned;
- a dangerous condition exists on the member’s premises;
- the member violates any rule of the cooperative which adversely affects the safety of the member or other persons, or the physical integrity of the cooperative’s delivery system;
- the member causes or permits unauthorized interference with, or tampering of as defined in Section 3-A-4-c of the Rules and Regulations, the electric service situated or delivered on or about the member’s premises;
- the member misrepresents his or her identity for the purpose of obtaining or retaining electric service; or
- the member tenders an insufficient funds check as the initial payment or an installment payment under an arrearage payment plan and does not cure the insufficient payment, including the returned check charge during the 10-day period after a disconnection notice is sent to the member.
Under (a), (b), (c), (d), and (e) above, the cooperative may disconnect the service immediately. Under (f) above, the cooperative may disconnect the service two (2) days after a disconnection is provided to the member of record or 10 days after a disconnection notice is sent, whichever is quicker. Under (g) above, the cooperative may disconnect the service 10 days after a disconnection notice is provided if that member has not cured the insufficient payment during that 10-day period.
The day prior to disconnection, the cooperative may make at least one telephone call attempt with the member of record or make one attempt at a personal contact with the member of record on the day prior to termination of service.
Prepay Power Program participants are not eligible for Cold Weather Accommodation; however, members can work with the cooperative to stay connected with reasonable payment arrangements if needed.